Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Faction concept (WIP)  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Slaskia

• Staff Member
    • View Profile
Faction concept (WIP)
« on: May 03, 2016, 04:28:48 PM »
(posting this now despite it's incomplete state as I don't want yet 'another' document in my folder.  *yes, lazy, so sue me*)

I'm thinking this could be more of NPC faction, though players could have character's that are a part of it.

This is based on a similar concept I have that I am adapting for here, info on which can be found here for reference:  http://wiki.insanityprelude.net/wiki/vakar  (the use of the name ‘vakar’ will be only temporary until I come up with a different name).  Everything is up for discussion/debate.

DisclaimerSince the magic system is still in the works, everything is subject to change depending on the final product.

This is a concept for an organization that serves as a kind of underground police force (perhaps more like mercenaries/bounty hunters).  Their main goal is to protect society from the scum of the planet, both mundane and magical/supernatural.  They are not an ‘official’ force and our generally seen as vigilantes at best: at worse, some see them as no better than the people they hunt.  Therefore, they are called upon by officials only as a last resort.

Vakar look just like everyone else, with a one potential difference (depending on the race):  they all have fangs from which they can drink blood.  Blood consumed in this way goes into a special ‘stomach’ (referred as a ‘blood bladder’).  They can also mind read in this way, but with some limitations/costs (see list below).

The blood bladder serves as a battery for their magic and other abilities:  the fuller it is, the more they can do.  However it can only serve as a magic fuel source at night (?).  The other main use for the bladder is fuel their regeneration capability (it’s not instant healing, more like accelerated healing.  Rate is undecided).  This capability is so great, they can even regenerate lost limbs, as long as the bladder as blood in it.  If not, any healing going on slows down to a normal rate and regeneration of lost body parts halts until it has blood in it again.  An empty bladder also affects their aging:  no blood, they age like normal people.  So long as they have blood in this bladder, they are perpetually young.  The bladder also serves an important role in turning someone into a blood magic user (more on that later).

Like normal magic users, Vakar are restricted to one element (how it is discovered is not decided atm), however, due to its fuel source, it can be particularly potent.  This is because they are not so much casting spells where each spell has a predictable effect, but literally controlling their element to do whatever they want.  However, because the fuel source is finite and has be constantly recharged, they can’t use it recklessly.  If expecting to be in a heavy magic fight, a vakar will likely bring a pint or two of blood with them to use as a ‘recharge’ (provided they get the chance).

(more later)

Ability cost/limitations:

Magic
- Cost:  unlike ‘normal’ magic, their spells are fueled by blood
- Cost/Limitation:  magic use costs more if their element is not present (e.g. it will be more taxing for a fire user if there is no open flame nearby)
- Limitation: Can only be used at night(?)

Mind reading
- Cost:  Doing this too often can cause the individual to become confused on who they are, as they can’t get rid of the memories they ‘inherit’ in this way.  Thus, there’s a risk they can go insane.
- Cost:  Risk of becoming ‘addicted’ to the process, thus not only losing their sanity, but becoming a tangible threat to society.
- Limitation:  the blood must be drank directly from a ‘living’ sentient being.  It will not work on the dead, animals, or blood that was pre-drawn into a container.

Runestones
- Cost:  stone is consumed on use
- Cost:  drains some of the users lifespan upon use (how much depends on the strength of the spell).  Exception:  this cost will not take effect if the user is of the same element.
- Limitation:  Spell bound to the stone must match the stone (can’t put a water based spell on a piece of flint (fire element), as an example.
- Limitation:  Can only be made by the older, more experienced vakar and can be a time consuming task.

Regeneration
- Cost:  consumes a high amount of blood from their blood bladder
- Limitation:  will not regenerate/heal what was already there and/or missing at point of ‘joining’ the organization
- Limitation: will only work if there is blood in the bladder

Society

Vakar live in loose groups called ‘sects’.  Each sect is overseen by an ‘Elder’, who is usually the oldest/most experienced in the group.  Elder’s decide where to hunt, where to live, who can join their ranks, and other typical leadership duties.

There is no position higher than Elder, as there is no formal ‘government’ tying all the sects together.  In fact, Vakar are rather territorial:  they don’t like non-members of their sect intruding on their hunting ground unless they are invited or otherwise can prove they are not a threat.  Cases where two rival sects are vying for the same territory can turn bloody, but is usually resolved peacefully if one of the sects is demonstratively stronger than the other.  Sometimes, the weaker sect is allowed to merge with the stronger one.

As vakar sects are largely de-centralized, each sect tends to have their own quirks and traditions.  However, typically all sects have the same basic principles.  First, is that they never intentionally harm an innocent.  Second is that they protect society first, sect second (e.g. if a city wishes to drive them out, they will willingly leave rather than fight for it).  Similarly, they will place the lives of innocents above their own.  Third:  do not feed on a sentient unless permission is given (by the individual if innocent, by the authorities otherwise).  A vakar that willfully breaks any of these principles run the risk of being labeled a rogue.

Rogues are vakar that, essentially, live only for themselves and their wants, placing themselves above all others.  They are looked down upon by other vakar and the worse cases are actively hunted by their kin.  Thus, most rogues live solitary lives, though occasionally they can form a small ‘sect’ of their own with other like-minded rogues:  these sects usually never last long, for obvious reasons.

Joining their ranks

Vakar are very picky on who they allow into their circle.  They prefer candidates that are in the prime of their live (between 20-30 years old, or the species equivalent), either have no disabilities, or said disability isn’t heavily impairing (decided on a case-by-case basis), must be mentally sound and share their principles.  Thus, evaluations of candidates can take months of meetings/interviews to ensure the individual is a proper fit.  Only once the candidate is ‘approved’ to join, are they taken to their base for the turning process.

(undecided factor for candidacy:  can the candidate already have magic ability or would it be a no go?)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:17:39 AM by Slaskia »

Re: Faction concept (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
Hey Slaskia! Firstly, love the concept. It's an interesting take on vampiric folk that I've not seen before. My only concern is with the 'mind-reading' aspect. I've yet to really see such a thing done well unless it can only be done on NPCs, and even then it could be problematic for GMs wanting to keep a secret from the players for the sake of plot. Simply a concern I wish to voice ahead of time, as this would set a precedent for (possibly) allowing players to have mind-reading abilities going forward. Beyond that, they look pretty good ^_^
"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die." - H.P. Lovecraft
"Our people are awakening, and soon all of the galaxy shall be ours once more." - Anrakyr the Traveler
"Death is not the end of the journey, it is just the beginning..." - Karthus

Offline Slaskia

• Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:33:59 PM »
Understandable concerns about the mind reading aspect.  The only time I've seen such a thing portrayed in this way was in the Underworld movies.  I intend to have this ability (at least this form of it) be vakar specific only, but if folks still think it would be potentially too problematic, I have no issue removing it.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 01:20:15 AM »
I could see that as being acceptable as long as it's not abused. I don't think that you will, but other players might XD We'll leave it be for now, if there's a problem then we can change things.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die." - H.P. Lovecraft
"Our people are awakening, and soon all of the galaxy shall be ours once more." - Anrakyr the Traveler

Offline Slaskia

• Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »
I'm leaning toward removing it, tbh.  Only reason I haven't yet as I feel there needs to be a definite 'darkside' to them.  Just being 'selfish dicks' wouldn't be enough as typically such individuals wouldn't be allowed to become vakar in the first place.

Added more to the OP (society and joining them)

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 01:25:33 PM »
Looks pretty awesome. I don't know about you, but being forced to drink the blood of living creatures is one heck of a dark side.  I really do like how these guys are developing!